Re: [foxboro] Sequence code (MON, DEP, IND) opinions

  • From: Gabriel ODwyer <ODWYER_GABRIEL@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:53:17 +0100

We are a batch (IABatch) process pharmaceutical manufacturer, we use
IND/DEP blocks extensively with no adverse affects, the key is in what
Kenneth said, only execute them when they're needed and use plenty of
WAIT/WAIT UNTIL.
They are absolutely essential to our style of operations, but are not the
thing for high speed requirements, we use ladder logic (!) for the
millisecond stuff.
We generally use vi to view/edit the .s files, also use FoxCAE, word,
notepad, - whatever your favourite editor happens to be (we use TELNET and
FTP for desktop access and all that stuff), and personally, I can get
around the code  with my eyes closed, for trouble shooting, etc, (o.k. I
peek now and again...). The Code display at block level is a bit clunky,
its a pity the font is not adjustable (is it?) so you could see more
lines.
Very often I find that an IND block is WAY smarter than trying to use all
the other block combinations, CALCS, etc.
In some instances we use FoxSFC (kinda sits on top of HLBL), but the gripe
I have there is that the WAIT UNTIL function dissappeared, you have to
build it each time with messy loopback scans, yeuch. Otherwise I think SFC
is pretty slick, yeah I have some squirmy gripes with it, but I think its
a pity its not pushed out more and given a few "upgrade" tweaks.
Regards,
Gabriel O'Dwyer.
Eli Lilly,
Ireland.