Re: [foxboro] P92 (Dell) HDD Backups

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:02:23 -0400

We only have one (one more than I would like :), and it is an OPC gateway,
so we generally can't take it offline to back it up.  Conversely, making
an image backup "hot" could result in an inconsistent disk image (though
XP has APIs that supposedly enable hot file backups, I don't know that any
of the disk imaging programs make use of them).  So I make a backup of all
the configuration files (savealls, OPC server configs, etc.) and figure
I'll get an image at each turnaround.  I'm also looking at building a hot
backup box that is updated periodically from the active one, so if it
croaks in the middle of the night, we just slide in the backup CPU, pick
"AW" from the boot menu, and we're up.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

Brian Bates <batesb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/27/2006 11:58 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] P92 (Dell) HDD Backups

Hi all.

How do you backup your Foxboro/Dell workstations?

Is anybody using Ghost to create images on CD, DVD, second HDD or to a
network server?

Has anybody installed a SCSI  or FireWire PCI card, and used an external
tape drive?  Or installed an internal Tape Drive?

-Regards, Brian Bates.

Confidentiality Message
This e-mail message is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee. Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee cannot be reached or is
unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and
delete this e-mail message and destroy all copies. Thank you.