[dokuwiki] Re: plugins, and their 'activity' / 'maintenance'

  • From: "Notamment.be" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:13:24 +0100

Andreas Gohr wrote (and I edited heavily):

I have an idea about a plugin repository outside the Wiki (maybe connected to the same auth backend). I'll just scribble away some of my ideas how I imagine it:

- database driven
- located at plugins.dokuwiki.org
- user can vote: works for me with Dokuwiki version X, does not work for me with Version X - The plugin manager connects to plugins.splitbrain.org to list available plugin, and to check for updates - users could easily see the health status of a plugin based onthe user votes (work/don't work)

What do you all think of it?

Should I spend time on writing this system? Or should I use the little spare time I have to go outside looking at the sun? ;-)

(I am a newbie, so please forgive any totally dumb idea that could follow...)

One could have an automatic vote or popularity measure by doing the following :

* establish a central plugin repository
* count whenever a DokuWiki installs a plugin (should be easy)
* count whenever a Dokuwiki _uninstalls_ a plugin (modify the plugin manager to send this info)

As DW automatically checks for update, one could easily compute how popular each plugin is, with each version of DW and of plugins.

* The plugin manager could further be modified like this :
  - send info to notify a plugin is enabled / disabled
- provide a mini-poll for deactivation / uninstallation ("Not needed" / "Buggy" / "Just testing") to know the reason. (Provide multiple uninstall and deactivate buttons ?)

I think this would provide a not-too-hard to implement (but what do I know ?) and reliable popularity/health measure.

Regards,

--
Philippe