[dokuwiki] Re: Cannot edit pages, only says Show Page

  • From: Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:53:12 +0100

I have a lamp setup on my server with madrake. I found httpd.conf in
etc/httpd/conf and it had :

I use lampp on one laptop, too. When you use the standard setup of lampp, it will install itself under /opt/lampp. Did you follow http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html when installing?

In /opt/lampp/etc/httpd.conf I read:
User wwwrun
Group www
If there is any config in /etc/httpd, it may not be used by lampp. Lampp includes several additional apache config files in /opt/lampp/etc/extra

So when you have to have user wwwrun and group www to run apache with, you must have the appropriate entries in /etc/password and /etc/group. In my distro, I find in /etc/passwd:
wwwrun:x:30:8:WWW daemon apache:/var/lib/wwwrun:/bin/bash
and in /etc/group:
www:x:8:
So I have both user and group apache runs with. If you do not have them, add those lines (best with the commands useradd / groupadd) and start apache. It will not start when the given user does not exist. Be sure to stop all apache processes first - maybe you installed apache from your distro, and now your distro's apache fights with lampps' apache who may serve port 80 ;-) When you use lampp, you better uninstall apache, mysql, php and the other packages included in xampp because it makes no sense to have them installed twice - just remember the configuring fuzz ;-)

First try to access your web server's start page, then let's look further ;-)

Where did you install DokuWiki? If it is in /home/tom/public_html/dokuwiki, you can access it via http://localhost/~tom/dokuwiki/. When it's outside your personal public_html, you have to edit /opt/lampp/etc/extras/httpd-userdir.conf accordingly. Or you put in in /opt/lampp/htdocs/dokuwiki, then you can access it via http://localhost/dokuwiki/.

Now the rights. Since you want to edit the contents of your wiki via browser, your web server (not you) needs write access to all the files. That is where the chown and chmod commands kick in - I don't want to repeat them now ;-)

When you make sure the only apache on your machine is the one in lampp plus you put the dokuwiki installation in one of the 2 places I mentioned above, you should have at least read access up to here.

HTH
Werner