[ddots-l] Re: sound card and mixer recommendations

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 01:01:30 -0400

Well, what will you be doing for the most part, recording with mics, playing
back lots of tracks (mixing and mastering), or messing around with soft
synths, or a bit of all that. Performance wise, PCI express cards run better
than firewire or USB, mainly because firewire interfaces for the most part
use dice II chipsets which has its limitations; I think you can't go lower
than 64 samples buffer. From what I've seen PCIE cards have better latency
and can go down to 32 on a system that is properly configured, which is the
question, what kind of system are you getting, is it a prepared daw?
Bak to interfaces, RME makes some solid stuff, but it's expensive, and
you'll have to buy the proper breakout box for your needs; not sure on its
preAmps and such, but the drivers, stability and latency is good.

In the firewire land, there's the focusrite saffire lines, stuff like the
pro40, the liquid mix, the 56 etc. Motu also has some good stuff in both USB
and I believe PCIE and firewire.

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____