[ddots-l] Re: O.T. Best way to get print book accessible?

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 19:29:47 -0500

I remember using the Compositor tapes to generate Braille stuff in the early
80's, but it still took allot of human intervention.  (grin)  It was a big day
when it started migrating from Joe Sullivan's mainframe and mini-computer
Duxbury Braille translation onto micros.  David Holladay, and his first blind
math PHD lady Karyn Navy ran Braille Edit, on an Apple II+, with translation
tables, and later style-based formatting, on Apple II+ and later... Joe used to
insist that Braille translation had to be strictly lookup table-based and could
only run with the resources then available on mainframes and minis.  David
contended that algorithms  could be used because even though there were
heuristics in the code, it was essentially rule-based.  Now there was a rather
forward thinking but technically premature solution "translation in a box" the
Ransley Translator and embosser's that claimed you didn't need a computer-based
translator...  Well...

Nick