[ddots-l] Re: Akai samples

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:01:42 -0400

Sampletank isn't accessible.

I don't know of any softsynths that can sound like that at all. Notice that it
isn't just that he plays notes, but he controls the swells. That is something
that most synths just don't allow you to do at all with wind instruments.

The only way that I know that I could produce a sound like that is to use
hardware, like the Motif with a wind controller, or, better yet, the VL-1 with
a wind controller. Yamaha's brass is alright for a synth. However, the Motif
directly supports a wind controller, and the patches are programmed to work
with it.

If you use nearly any keyboard workstation, the wind controller will simply
control volume and a filter to dull the sound. The VL-1 will actually add
harmonics and growl as you blow harder.

There is a physical modeling plug for the computer from Arturia called Brass
that is supposed to do what the VL-1 does in software. I've never used it,
though, so have no idea regarding the accessibility.

Bryan