[softwarelist] Re: Imposition signatures?

  • From: Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:48:44 +0100

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
In message <46613DFC.4020302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Although RISC OS only has a basic Java implementation, is a Java based OP
a possible viable option for Windows/Linux, Mac, RISC OS?
The situation with Java is that the RISC OS version is Java 1.1

You wish! It is far more ancient than that. It is Java 1.0.2.

almost the very first version that came out. The latest Java runtime
available for download is version 6. The development environment will
be either 5 or 6.

The changes between version 1.1 and version 2 were substantial, most
applications having to be re-written.

Actually, the changes between Java 1.0.2 and 1.1 were even more substantial. :-( But that is not really the main problem - if a modern Java environment for RISC OS provided a substantial benefit such a thing could be produced. The problem is that it would not be of much use due to lack of processing power.

Martin
I stand corrected. My memory served me badly. I have since switched on the RiscPC and checked. It was indeed 1.0.2 which is (as you say) a much earlier version. My Java books tell me the same story, that changes between 1.0.2 and 1.1 were indeed substantial. Version 1.0.2 on any platform must have been the first stab by the Java people and then they had a big rethink.

I did not want to bring up the lack of processing power as this would no doubt have lead to a barrage of "you are anti-ARM, anti-RISC OS" messages.

--

Regards, Phillip Marsden

For quality bespoke acoustic guitars phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx