[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...]

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:04:31 -0500

BRL-CAD is indeed very active with our development rate increasing
every year since the code was made open source.  That said, there is
still a lot of work that needs to be done and only so many developers.

One of the things I've been trying hard to do is expand our dev
community.  We have lots of interested users, but very few that can
actually contribute as developers.  The few that can seem to have a
bit of "nibm"/nih syndrome and/or simply don't come forward to
contribute on something.

That said, actively expanding the community has been one of the top
four project priorities [1] for a little while now.  Participating in
GSoC last year was one of the first active steps and was a really
great experience (which I still intend to report on sometime soon).
I'm also looking to host some competitions soon to help inspire new
contributors too.

  [1] http://brlcad.org/BRL-CAD_Priorities.png

As far as I know, Art unfortunately hasn't worked on PythonCAD in
almost two years now (Eric, you were working on it too? thought you
were a Perl guy).  We'd be happy to work with Art or Eric or anyone
else capable and interested in making open source CAD better.  The
issue is usually finding someone with sustainable interest and
sharing a mutual metaphorical itch that can be scratched.

Cheers!
Sean

P.S. That is one old screenshot of BRL-CAD/MGED on the cad-tastrafy
page.. :-)