[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Keith Frost <phrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:50:31 -0500

for years i've heard how we won't need 2D anymore.
it just isn't happening.
in 18 years of engineering i've only worked at one place that even tried to
go 100% 3D and even they had to come back to 2D drawings for some
parts/assy.
it's just really hard to replace a paper/velum/mylar drawing that you can
hold in your hand.
people scoff at me when i suggest that the 2D and the 3D don't have to be
the same program, just work well together.
currently that is what we are doing with solidworks and autocad.  autocad
isn't as 3d friendly as SW and SW 2D boggs down after about 5 sheets and 5
meg drawing files.
my previous employer used solidworks/intellicad the same way.

yes, i miss my all in one catia V4, but it's not my call.