[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Yorik van Havre <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:16:48 -0300

Thanks for the good analysis, Lars
One thing is quite interesting: If you browse through the many new
open-source CAD projects, specially the opencascade-based ones, many names
appearing among developers and people hanging on forums are well-known to
this list and other typical architecture/engineering/linux/opensource/cad
places, and I have the impression everyone always has an eye on the
neighbours.
And those apps rely much on and share many different libraries, one for
rendering, one for modeling, one for contraint solving, etc... and
opencascade itself allows a very high compatibility between all apps
(basically, same brep-based format). All this can make a good glue between
all those projects.
About terrible state of 2D and users being disappointed about not behaving
like Autocad, I agree, it's happening already :) I fear only us architects
really need 2D, which represent a very small portion of the opensource CAD
bath...

Yorik