[cad-linux] cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...]

  • From: john kosty <john_kosty@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:00:43 -0800 (PST)

From: Moises CastrOporto <moises.castroporto@xxxxxxxxx>
/snip/
It´s a live out there??
Nice regards
mOe:)
Still live [and -- sort of -- alive...] lo' these many moons...  But I've
attached a screendump of the list's archive page:  a little depressing to see
just how inactive this one's been for the past couple o' years.  I'm wondering
how to breathe some life into this subject.  I attend my local LUG maybe two
times per year -- meetings are monthly.  Everytime I stand up during the
Q&A/other segment toward the end and ask my usual questions:  Who here deals
with CAD on *ANY* basis; regular or otherwise?  Who here is interested in
helping to further the cause?  Usually generates maybe five minutes of
conversation and then nothing until I go again six months later.  Sigh...

I agree w/ Phrostie:  PythonCAD & BRL-CAD appear to have the most ongoing
activity and most promising futures in this arena.  Eric Willhelm [Wilhelm?] of
PythonCAD has been, by and large, a one-man show and has soldiered on for some
time now.  If I were a "coder" -- rather than a "script-kiddie" -- I'd love to
contribute.  Then again, since Python *is*, after all, a "scripting" language,
I guess I'm just making excuses...  :-)  Please drop by his site and give him
some feedback.  I'm sure he could use the encouragement.

Best,

jk

PS:  Also attached a screengrab of the archive page for
cad-linux-dev@freelists.  I wasn't even aware of that sub-group until today --
or, at least, I'd forgotten about it.

PPS:  Anyone here installed [and play-tested] Varkon in, oh, the last five
years?  I believe that was my last install and try-out.  Would be nice if some
add'l academics would sign on.  Seems like it would be a useful addition to
universities and researchers world-wide but then I'm continually surprised at
just how LITTLE interest there is for FOSS-CAD in academia.  WTF?  I just don't
get it.  Too many commercial vendors continually flooding them with freebies?

John Kosty
828 Ralph McGill Boulevard
Atlanta, Georgia 30306
404.447.3608