[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:30:25 -0700

# from Yorik van Havre
# on Wednesday 22 July 2009:

>But I also think it is a major issue that prevents people from even
> looking at open-source solutions. If you could read even
> older-version dwg files, even a couple of basic things...

Yes.  It is as much about the entrenched assets as anything.  People
will entertain the idea of changing workflows, but if you can't at
least *read* their existing files from the start, they have to learn to
use your drawing tool and build-up a drawing from a blank page before
getting any sort of feel of whether it would work for them.  Being able
to open some .dwg files means you can use your existing templates and
generally explore a new tool (even if you have to export .dxf from the
open source program to feed back into your workflow.)

--Eric
--
  http://vectorsection.org