[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Yorik van Havre <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:02:06 -0300

We have a basic set of 2D tools in FreeCAD now...
Still lacks some important stuff, like grouping objects and
reference/instances (that would be, basically, blocks) and hatches, but
there is already support for all that, we just need to make the tools for
the end-user. There is a page on the FreeCAD wiki [1] describing in detail
what 2D tools we already have. Since there is almost only me using it, it's
still a bit buggy because not much tested. All 2D stuff in FreeCAD is coded
in python, so it is quite easy to understand and modify. In case someone is
interested, we also have a good section about scripting on the wiki [2]
By chance I met yesterday the guys working on libreDWG [3], it was quite
interesting, I think it begins to be almost usable, they managed to extract
quite a lot from dwg files already. I proposed to help by writing - trying
to write, actually - a python API, which I could use with FreeCAD and could
also be used in other projects that use python to read DWG files. I'm not
sure I'll be able to get much detailed info from the dwg entites, but at
least basic stuff yes (line startpoint and endpoint, circle center and
radius, text contents and position, stuff like that). Since I'm pretty
newbie at coding C, it might take some time before it gets somewhere, but at
least it's something.

Well, that's about it for now I think. I should post here more often, sorry
about that :)

Cheers
Yorik

[1]