[bookshare-discuss] Re: In your opinion, what makes a book bad.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:52:02 -0500

Lots of things can make a book bad for me, but one of the worst offenses occurs, for me at least, when an author hasn't done their homework and it shows. Horses that can run for hours, military personnel who talk back to their officers, plots in regular fiction stories that ignore the ordinary laws of physics - those sorts of things totally distract me from a story. Cookie cutter characterizations also turn me off, such as the "noble" disabled person, the illiterate emotionally childish Arab, the mean stupid red-neck hick, or the dumb blonde.

Judy s.

Bob wrote:
We often discuss books we've read and enjoyed: and that's how it should be.
However, I'm just curious about what makes a book not click for you. I think for me, part of the thing that makes a book not work is it's unbelievability factor. If the author gives his/her protagonist ancient powers that materialize right at the point where they are needed to enhance the plot's development. Kind of like the shoes that Dorthy uses to get out of Oz. That's usually where I throw the book down in disgust and go watch fox tv, or something. What's your "watch fox tv" breaking point? Bob
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead