[bksvol-discuss] Re: Redoing the Bookshare Website

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Tat's a bgreat  idea (about being able to renew the books when we remember to)

TinyURL.com/752cyrs

>________________________________

I would also include the idea that we be able to renew any book we have
checked out any time we want to.

>Bob
>

>A conservative, a moderate and a liberal go in a bar.
>The bartender says, "What'll you have, Mitt?"

  priority: Fix the volunteer manual (which I know Mayrie is doing) so  that it
is clear, and easily navigated. It's essential that it can be  downloaded and
searched in its entirety all at once. Currently it's  intimidating, poorly laid
out and nearly impossible to use as a new volunteer  right now, which new
volunteers often post when they join this list.   Even as an experienced
volunteer you can't find things in it.
>>2. The
  volunteer manual can't cover everything.  It's too intimidating for a new
  volunteer.  So make up a searchable FAQ or database or Wiki or whatever
  that all volunteers can go to and search for answers. I made up a FAQ as a
  possible starting point for Scott based on thousands of postings, and he
loved
  it but then it got dropped for whatever reason. We have huge expertise in the
  volunteer community and it's getting lost and wasted by not preserving that
  knowledge and making it available.
>>3. Fix the "who is safe who isn't"
  publishers list so it's obvious where it is, not buried, and accessible
easily
  to volunteers, not buried somewhere that you have to ask all the time where
  find it, and make sure it gets updated at least once a month.
>>4. Put an
  updates page on the volunteer website that documents (and keeps a history of)
  when things change, by date--the way software developers do for versions of
  their software.  That way we can check and know that when we proof or
  scan if something's changed in the way we're supposed to handle things, like
  footnotes or ellipses or whatever.
>>5. Fix the books checked out page as
  we've been promised now for years would happen so that you can release a book
  and put comments in so that anyone who looks to check out a book knows why it
  was released.

>>Whew.  That's it for now. smile.
>>
>>Judy
  s.

>>On 3/29/2012 1:45 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>One of our big projects is redoing the Volunteer section  of the Bookshare
>>>website and I would love your input!  As some of you  may have noticed, it’s
>>>a bit out of date and confusing.  Here are just  a few questions I came up
>>>with that I thought might have especially helpful  answers.  Feel free to
>>>answer one question, all, or add other comments  if you feel so inclined.
>>>Please note that this is NOT a discussion about the  Volunteer Manual. We
>>>are currently working on that and will ask for your  feedback as soon as we
>>>have made more progress on it.
>>>What information would be helpful for new volunteers that  is currently
>>>missing or hard to find?
>>>What do you think of the current layout of the “Volunteer  Overview” page as
>>>compared to the “Community Overview” page? Is it easier to  find what you’re
>>>looking for? More difficult?
>>>What do you like least about the Volunteer section of the  website?
>>>What do you like most or find most
helpful?
>>>Is there anything that currently is not on the website  but should be?
>>>For those who use other tools to read the website (such  as Screen Readers):
>>>what are your thoughts?  Is the “Volunteer  Overview” page any different
>>>from the pages on the Bookshare website?
>>>Your feedback is very much appreciated, as, of course, is  your time and
>>>effort in the volunteering process. Thanks for  everything!
>>>Best,
>>>Madeleine Linares
>>>Volunteer
Coordinator