[bksvol-discuss] Re: Publisher Quality Books needing synopses

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:36:10 -0500

Hi Mayrie,

Hmmm, I've left your message below deliberately. I think you are right in that the publisher Quality books do need synopses. I think that before you decide not to submit any more books, you may want to consider how this boycott will affect readers. The Bookshare staff isn't going to care if you don't submit any books, just you, Mayrie. The whole volunteer contingent would have to boycott Bookshare in order for it to affect the staff.

On the other hand, here's a couple of solutions. First, your suggestion of making the submitter of the Publisher Quality books responsible for their synopses is not a good idea because these books come in large bunches. To make one person responsible for synopses for all these books is, IMO unfair.

However, there is a solution, which I think will be equitable for all. How would it be if there was a new job created called Synopsis Hunter. It's not as interesting as hunting for the snark, I am sure, but it is a worthy task. Could there be a list created somewhere of these Publisher Quality books so that a Synopsis Hunter could find them and seek their synopses? Might I suggest that a volunteer be given $1.00 credit for each book for which he/she found a synopsis?

This also would require one of the staff to place synopses with their books. this would add to their work load because the books really should have their synopses accompanying them when they're submitted. That allocation of staff resources should, of course be done by Benetech admins.

No, Mayrie, I don't think you need boycott Bookshare because they haven't refused to fix the problem. They haven't had time to ignore it, and they haven't even come onto the list to express an opinion or give info either way. Now, if they refused utterly to make equitable solutions, or if they refused to listen to you, or something like that, then, you might have reason for a boycott. However, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water quite yet. Give Benetech a chance to answer us.

BTW, I noticed that Amazonia by James Rollins is now on Bookshare. I have downloaded this book, and plan to read it post haste. I can't write a synopsis because I haven't read it, but Rollins is in the same category with Preston and Child. There are several of his books already on Bookshare. His books are excellent! They are edge of the chair, pounding heart, non-stop science fiction/suspense novels that will cause you to cancel all engagements, turn off your phone, put out a Do-Not-Disturb sign on your door, and generally make it impossible for you to do anything at all except read! Oh, you might want to pause long enough for sustenance, as reading does require some brain power and food keeps your brain active.

Ann P.