[bksvol-discuss] Re: Publisher Quality Books needing synopses

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:43:06 -0800

Hi Cindy,

You are very kind to make this offer. But, I, personally, would rather that you didn't provide synopses for publisher quality books. My issue is only partially that the synopses aren't there. It is also partially that Bookshare (the organization) is not holding itself to the standards it has itself set by not providing synopses for books submitted in-house. If you provide synopses, you are just keeping those who submit and validate those books from having to do the work that is required for the submission of books.

Also, regarding the lack of brf copies of these books, I am glad that there is a work around for our deaf-blind Bookshare users. But, again, Bookshare is not holding itself to the standard which it has set by saying that books are available in brf format, and then not providing that format on these books.

I understand and appreciate that fixes for all of these things are in the works. That is nice. I just think that releasing these books into the Bookshare collection that do not meet Bookshare's own criteria for books in its collection is premature. It is just my opinion, but I think these books should be held in reserve until they meet all existing Bookshare criteria for books being submitted, and included in the collection.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 03:21 PM 2/23/2008, you wrote:
Ann and Mayrie, and others.

You are all very persuasive, and I should have read
all  of today's mail before posted the one about
synopses.

For those of you who receive my nightly emails of
books-added, I will provide some kind of synopsis,
genre if nothing else, but more if I can. Anyone not
on my list who wants to be added can let me know
offlist.

G. Cindy
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx

--- Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mayrie,
>
> Hmmm, I've left your message below deliberately.  I
> think you are right
> in that the publisher Quality books do need
> synopses.  I think that
> before you decide not to submit any more books, you
> may want to
> consider how this boycott will affect readers.  The
> Bookshare staff
> isn't going to care if you don't submit any books,
> just you, Mayrie.
> The whole volunteer contingent would have to boycott
> Bookshare in order
> for it to affect the staff.
>
> On the other hand, here's a couple of solutions.
> First, your
> suggestion of making the submitter of the Publisher
> Quality books
> responsible for their synopses is not a good idea
> because these books
> come in large bunches.  To make one person
> responsible for synopses for
> all these books is, IMO unfair.
>
> However, there is a solution, which I think will be
> equitable for all.
> How would it be if there was a new job created
> called Synopsis Hunter.
> It's not as interesting as hunting for the snark, I
> am sure, but it is
> a worthy task.  Could there be a list created
> somewhere of these
> Publisher Quality books so that a Synopsis Hunter
> could find them and
> seek their synopses?   Might I suggest that a
> volunteer be given $1.00
> credit for each book for which he/she found a
> synopsis?
>
> This also would require one of the staff to place
> synopses with their
> books.  this would add to their work load because
> the books really
> should have their synopses accompanying them when
> they're submitted.
> That allocation of staff resources should, of course
> be done by
> Benetech admins.
>
> No, Mayrie, I don't think you need boycott Bookshare
> because they
> haven't refused to fix the problem.  They haven't
> had time to ignore
> it, and they haven't even come onto the list to
> express an opinion or
> give info either way.  Now, if they refused utterly
> to make equitable
> solutions, or if they refused to listen to you, or
> something like that,
> then, you might have reason for a boycott.  However,
> let's not throw
> out the baby with the bath water quite yet.  Give
> Benetech a chance to
> answer us.
>
> BTW, I noticed that Amazonia by James Rollins is now
> on Bookshare.  I
> have downloaded this book, and plan to read it post
> haste.  I can't
> write a synopsis because I haven't read it, but
> Rollins is in the same
> category with Preston and Child.  There are several
> [...]

***WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/scanning.html