[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:34:06 -0400

This is a really, really bad idea! I have nothing against all of our new volunteers, but obviously they have no idea why the holds are put on the books in the check-out cue, so instead of making a change like this one, perhaps they should just take some time to get acquainted with the reasons we do what we do for each other here in Volunteer-land.

Marty Rafter

-----Original Message----- From: Madeleine Linares
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:26 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Alisa Moore ; Mayrie Renae
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

Hi Volunteers,

We are really excited because we have seen an increase in new volunteers! Due to feedback from them, we are reducing the number of holds a volunteer can have in the checkout queue at one time. Each volunteer may now have a maximum of three holds at a time. We are reducing the number of allowable holds for two reasons: First and foremost is to share the wealth! We want new volunteers to be able to choose from a number of books that might interest them to keep them engaged while they're still learning the ropes. Secondly, we hope that reducing the number of holds and freeing up books in the checkout queue will reduce "poaching."

Volunteers will have until Aug. 15 to finish up the holds already existing for them, and after Aug. 15 I will be checking the Check Out Queue daily and removing extra holds at random.

Thank you all for understanding and, as always, for your hard work!

Best,

The Bookshare Volunteer Dept.