[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Regina Alvarado <reggie.alvarado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:19:10 -0400

Just my perspective and opinion.  I agree with the rule.  Just as I was
chastised for not reading fast enough to put books in the collection, I feel
that having books for months and months on the my checked out books is just
as bad.  I don't believe that the rule should be changed for "new"
volunteers, but if I was a volunteer and could not find a good book to read
because everyone had their name on them, I would get discouraged.  I do not
have a syndicate of friends who scan and can  put my name on them.  I depend
on the checked out books for my books to proof, and when all the mysteries,
history, etc. are already being held I end up with the problem I had to deal
with a few days ago.  Luckily there were a number of people here who came to
my rescue, Mary being one, but there still were not enough books.  It is a
matter of what do you like to read.  All the mysteries, etc. are given hold
fors and what is left are religious books and technical books I wouldn't
know anything or care enough about to proof correctly.  If it was a medical
transcriptionist book I could proof it, but they are computer books, etc.
Everyone should have the same chance of getting books they do not want to
particularly proof, not just those who are not hooked up to a scanner.
Also, not all volunteers are on this list.  It takes time to go through the
traffic here so they depend on the checked out list.

As for scanning.  Good scanners are worth their weight in gold, but, as is
my situation, they do not have room enough to make scanning comfortable or
perhaps they cannot even afford the necessary equipment to do a great scan.
I would have to scan into Word.  I do not, nor can I afford, Kurzweil or
Open Book.  Perhaps this could be a problem for some.

Getting books is another problem.  Not everyone can search extensively to
make certain some publisher has not put the book on Bookshare.  Also,
getting and paying for books could be a problem.  If I can find a way to
scan, I am going to do the research necessary.  However, not everyone
understands enough about computers to do that much research.

Just my opinion and perhaps a little thought from the other side of the
proverbial coin.  Understand I am bucking everyone here, but something
needed and should be done about hold fors that just languish.  Just as bad
in my opinion as renewing and renewing and renewing.
Reggie