[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: "Doug Maples" <WDMaples@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:59:01 -0500

I am in complete agreement with all of the above who find this new policy a
move in the wrong direction. I understand wanting to get new volunteers
involved is much as possible so that they can become proficient and as
productive as possible. I am in hearty agreement with that. But I believe
this policy misses the mark in those regards.

I only do proofreading because of my physical disability that does not allow
me to scan books. However, there are a number of people who work mainly as
scanners that I have worked with over the past several years. It is not
uncommon at all for any of them to put a book on hold for me, not knowing
that my check out queue is full, or close to it. I have had too many
instances where books on hold for less than a couple of days have been
poached for one reason or another.

I am in the same situation as Judy in many occasions. If I am working on a
very long and difficult book, I may spend several weeks or more because of
the complexity of a certain project that needs a lot of attention. This sets
up the possibility for other books on hold for me to build up. I try to grab
everything on hold for me as soon as possible, but it does not always work
out. As Judy and Valerie mentioned, many of these scanners have put a lot of
time and money into books that they need someone they know who will give
special attention on their investments to get quality results into the
Bookshare library.

I am not saying that I'm a better proofreader then someone else. It is a
simple case of a working relationship that we both know will produce a
quality project for the benefit of all members of Bookshare. When I am
working on one of my usual proofreading jobs, I have often been asked to do
a special project that is time critical. These requests quite often come
from Bookshare.org. I will stop what I am working on to do the special
project. That may cause my queue to get full which would put books on hold
for me out on the checkout list. Those things cannot be helped.

I do not want to be put in a situation where I have to start turning down
those special requests, but that may be what happens if this policy goes
into existence. I cannot allow all of my coinciding agreements to work on
specific books to cause any of them to be taken away from the checkout queue
because there are more than three with my name on them. As of right now,
many of us are having a problem of protecting a single book out there with a
hold for us. Now do we have to worry about Bookshare taking holds also? I
hope not.

As Larry said, I think holds should be worked out between us volunteers.

- Doug