[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 23:57:37 -0500

Madeleine,

This is the very worst rule I've ever seen proposed, and it's not proposed, it's just stated! Why on earth would you limit the number of books that can be held for a particular volunteer?

I am not a proofreader, I'm a scanner. When I put a hold on a particular book for a particular person, it's because we have arranged beforehand to work on that book, or perhaps even a series of books. Usually, one of us has either purchased or borrowed the book(s) at our own expense, and we have figured out that we will do books together because we both like them. Often we mail the books back and forth--at our own expense, to accomplish this.

If there are not enough scanners putting books into the Bookshare collection, recruit some more. I work as quickly as possible to keep three or four proofers busy, and have started putting books in the cue that are not holds. But it is ridiculously unfair and unreasonable to expect people who have worked together to purchase or borrow books to just merrily hand them off to someone else. I would be personally majorly offended if you were to "randomly" select a book I'd put a hold on for a new volunteer to proof.

No one is placing holds on books to keep new volunteers from working. We are placing holds on books for particular reasons. If you'd bothered to ask why this happens, you'd have found this out without a flood of negative e-mails.

I enjoy volunteering for Bookshare, and want to continue. But arbitrary rules that undermine the good work of existing volunteers in favor of placating new volunteers are not reasonable or acceptable.

When I began volunteering for Bookshare, I thought I'd proof books. But early on, I learned that the need for scanners was huge. I became a scanner, and have not looked back. The new volunteers need to realize that they, too, have this choice. And they can learn, from this list, who scans, and ask a scanner to submit a book for them if they are truly interested in increasing the number of books in the collection. There are plenty of books out there yet to be scanned.

I urge you to reconsider this new rule. As a scanner, I am working with "old" and "new" volunteers to increase the size of the Bookshare collection. But we are not kindergarteners here. Everyone must take responsibility for finding his or her own work. That is how this system has succeeded thus far. Changing it in this way will hamper the work of your best volunteers!

There has to be a better way!

Sandi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Madeleine Linares" <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>