[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:41:05 -0400

Perhaps an exception could be made for those who are checking out books put on hold specifically for them? I can't scan and don't work closely with any volunteers, so I don't know the specifics of the situations brought up by Vallerie Judy, and others, but I think that would solve the problems discussed without having to abrogate this mandate entirely. Checking for and removing random extra holds seems especially unfair when you consider that there are times, as with Cindy (I think; someone on this list, at any rate) and a historical book she is doing by Ian Kershaw which is enormous and, I'm guessing, because it is nonfiction, requires a lot of extra attention an average mystery or romance would not, volunteers have been working on books for a long time, and may simply require more than three weeks to finish proofing a book to ensure it isn't removed from their list of checked out books just because they have four books checked out rather than three.

On 24-Jul-12 21:20, Larry Lumpkin wrote:
I must agree with those who disagree with this new policy.  I have proofers
whom I prefer to work with and we have worked out our own arrangements on
holds.  I think holds should be worked out between us volunteers.