[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

Reggie;

You have brought up a HUGE need; upgrading fair or good copies in the
collection
and even writing quality reports on excellence that need minor repairs.
Another
big need is help in adding / augmenting synopses as well as identifying books
improperly paginated such as early Braille submissions that say one page or
other single digits (usually confined to chapters seen as pages). Even if you
can't repair it yourself, a list could be kept for sighted volunteers to add
page breaks or others can do BSO's to bring them up to today's standards.

Also, books before 2005 often are missing DAISY navigation and I repair those
before donating my copies, if I own them.

If we identify people willing to scan, often people like Em and I will find
used
scanners to donate.  we realize tech costs like Kurzweil are  huge cost
barrier,
but some blind volunteers have said ABBYY FineReader is navigable at lower cost
with a screen reader to get someone started.  I am a strong proponent of
approaching Kurzweil about a volunteer partnership at reduced cost, that might
even be leveraged via volunteer credits.

I am not a snob, and have tried hard to mentor and give feedback to new
scanners
so they can work toward the gold standard I cherish.  I think mentoring new
scanners is essential if we are to fill in gaps as our family has focused on.

All I have time for today, probably.  Have a great day everyone!
 Valerie