[bksvol-discuss] Re: 550 books in the download queue

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

Jesse,

Many of us said that we were going to attack the
download list instead of scanning, though I see there
are some who are still scanning. I plan to do my part
as soon as I finish this 812+ page book  (I'm halfway
through) that was going to be rejected because of
misplace sentences, missing pages, etc.

But a book can look  at first as if it is excellent
and one can  not find out that pages are missing or
that there are problems unless one reads it. These 50
missing pages were well into the book. And the messed
up sentences,of which there are many, wouldn't have
been found without my reading carefully., because just
looking at the page, all the sentences seem to be in
order. Not until one reads does one realize that the
sentence isn't making sense, and then one finds the
rest of the sentence a few lines down.

That's why, inthe not to distant past, readers who've
paid for books have complained that the books are
missing pages or are unreadable for other reasons;
then the books have to be rescanned and resubmitted.

I think the key to solving the problem would be what
several people suggested earlier, which is that as
many people as possible stop scanning and start
validating.

Looking at the list, however, there may be titles that
no one is interested in validating, other than
scantily, i.e., just checking pagination and doing a
spell check. I know bookshare prefers that people not
validate the books they've scanned, but I suggest that
if a scanner notices that the book he/she scanned is
not moving off the download list, that person
validates it him/herself, carefully, since he/she
presumably is interested in the book and wants it in
the collection  -- especially if the book is in a
format that only a restricted number of people can
validate. I noticed quite a few books in daisy or
Kurzweil format.

CIndy

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail