[bksvol-discuss] Re: 550 books in the download queue

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:00:11 -0400

Upfront clean up can also include these very very common issues. I have included ways of replacing some of these errors.

1 in place of I.
You can search for and then replace ' 1 ' but only if you go through and check this out one at a time. Another thing to do is search for "1 am " and replace with "I am ". You can then do similar things with " 1 was " and so on.

Read a couple of pages of the book before you submit it. Reading five pages or so will give you an idea of patterns which can then be corrected. Common patterns are corn for com which show up in words such as cornmander, cornputer, and comer. Lots of other patterns can be detected simply by reading a few pages of a submitted book.
Often space hypen combinations apappear in the middle of proper namess. These can sometimes be noticed just by reading a few pages.

Please for those of you using older scanning software, recent improvements in software are well worth the money and cut down on the need for as much human work. Optimizing scans is one example of this software improvement.

I will do my best to be less obsessive about correcting books. To the best of my ability, I notice patterns and then use them and the K1000 rank spelling lists to fix things.

E.