[bksvol-discuss] Re: 550 books in the download queue

  • From: "Kenneth A. Cross" <crossk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:27:13 -0400

Let me present another point of view.  Almost all advanced science books
will have maps, diagrams, figures, pictures, formulae, and other material
which will not scan well.  I don't want to be denied science scans just
because of this.  I would rather have the book in a quasi-readable form than
no book at all.  In a similar vain, many history books have elaborate maps,
figures, pictures, and foreign words which scanning in its present form
won't make accessible to the blind.  Again, I would prefer to have what can
be scanned.

I have read many books which have poor scanning of the top line--title or
whatever--but where the total content of the book is perfect.

Now I will grant that the more pedestrian the book, the more readable it is
likely to be, but there is need for the others.  And, by the way, anything
like twenty thousand books, currently in copyright rather than public
domain, is a goal we are no where near.