[bksvol-discuss] Re: 550 books in the download queue

  • From: "Susan Lumpkin" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:33:03 -0500

Agree 100%!

-----Original Message-----
.From: "Rui Cabral"<rui@xxxxxxxx>
.Sent: 8/9/04 7:11:30 PM
.To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
.Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: 550 books in the download queue
.
.550 books in the download queueHi Jesse:
.I couldn't agree with you more in that we need to get the # of books in queue
down to a more manageable level.
.
.However where we part company is on text quality.
.
.Here is a portion of a message i submitted back in April entitled **Text
quality**
.
.In my experience, anything marked fair is usually almost unreadable.
. We as a bookshare community need to put the emphasis squarely on text
quality, proper pagination, etc.
.
.Otherwise the collection may grow but the membership will not.
.
.Less members=less funding for all of those site improvements that everyone
wants.  Over time when the improvements don't materialize more members will not
renew there subscriptions, which in turn means even less funding.
.All of this can be traced right back to the text quality issue.
.
.Bookshare is supposed to be an E-library of sorts. Would you expect to go to
your local library and borrow a book with pages missing, pages where lines ran
together, etc.
.Of course not, if you found such a book, you would bring it to the front desk
and (in most cases) they would likely take it out of circulation.
.
.Reading is supposed to be enjoyable, people do it as a hobby, to relax, etc.
.It becomes outright drudgery when you have to "interpret" your book instead of
reading it.
.
.-- End of prior post.
.
.It would be much more beneficial to Bookshare to have 20,000 quality
submitions then let's say 25 or 30 thousand marginal ones.
.
.People should not be spending too much time on vallidation, if a book is in
that bad of shape, it should without question be rejected, the time would be
better spent rescanning the book.
.Reason being, even with hours of maticulous cleanup, a fresh scan will usually
beat out a badly scanned book that has been cleaned up in terms of quality.
.
.Anyone who reads a book with speech, and to a larger extent Braille, knows how
important "quality control" is.
.
.Thank you.
.