[birdky]

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:14:49 -0600

Today, I left the house before dawn to attend a meeting in Henderson.
There were at least 2 peeting American Woodcocks in the surrounding grassy
fields and/or pastures.

After the meeting, with binoculars only, I decided to check out the snow
geese at the sloughs.  As with previous posters, I observed 2,000+ Snow
Geese.  Other species that I observed, which by no means is a census, were
as follows:

Greater White-fronted Geese:  65 (flyover flocks)
Canada Geese:  200+
Mallards:  500+
Northern Pintails:  app. 100
Northern Shoveler:  app 100
Gadwall:  app 20
American Wigeon:  app 10
Green Winged Teal:  app 10
American Black Duck:  2.

No doubt, a scope and another hour would have produced more species and more
individuals.

I also took a few minutes to look for Eurasian Collared-Doves in the River
Port Industrial area, knowing that they are over found near grain
facilities.  I half hoped to see a White-winged Dove as well.  The only
Columbiformes present were Rock Pigeon and Mourning Dove.  I did however see
a male Northern Harrier and another large bird of prey that I could not
identify on the wing, though I wanted it to be an immature Peregrine Falcon.
That was a big brown job that got away.  A nice adult Cooper's hawk and
about 5 Horned Larks were also seen in the area along with lots of starlings
and icterids.

Upon my return home, at about 6:00 PM, I could here numerous American
Woodcocks "peeting" and could also hear the strange twittering that I
associated with an unseen/possibly imagined display flight.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276