[AZ-Observing] Re: Fw: Winter Star Party

  • From: <beevo1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:29:33 -0500

> Are you two complaining about the star party policy, or
> just complaining in general about "kids these days?"

Don't know if I would call it complaining.  Maybe lamenting would be a better
word.

For me (can't vouch for the other guy) it's all about the irresponsibility of
people in general.

Given the recent brough-ha-ha about the laser pens and airplanes it came as no
suprise whatsoever that the star party organizers instituted the rule.  I would
do it in thier place if it were me.

> Party committee banned laser pointers solely on the
> argument that they harm the aesthetic beauty of the
> night sky for neighboring observers.

A real touchy subject for sure.  I am not doing photography at the few parties
I attned.  I don't find the green beams annoying, but then I have seldom seen
more than one on at a time and never a large number beams in the course of the
evening.

> I heard very little complaint about the policy when
> I brought it up with star party attendees.

I would not complain either.

I use mine when out with my small groups of friends and ask fisrt before I use
it.  I also use it for the few school/scouting groups I telescope for.

I have no issues with penalizing heavliy the *intentional mis use* of the
lasers, I do have issues with my use of them being banned because of a number
of stupid idiots and the occasional terrorist....

Beevo (bill VanOrden)

Beevo