[AZ-Observing] Re: Fw: Winter Star Party

  • From: Chuck Akers <akersc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:24:17 -0800 (PST)

Green pointers banned huh?  Assuming that any star party coordinator has such
authority, which they don?t, how would they enforce such a ban?

I?m guessing they just don?t want an airline pilot reporting that they were
dazzled by a laser from the observing location.

There are certainly some inappropriate things that can be done with a green
laser, white flashlight, dome light or even a red LED flashlight for that
matter, but they all have their uses too.

Why not just add green pointers to the star party etiquette and educate people.
 I would think that would be a more logical and effective solution.

Just my .02 worth?

Bill VanOrden <beevo1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> FYI for those of you attending the Winter Star Party:
>
> JANUARY 2005
> GREEN LASER BAN
> Due to recent national events, it has become necessary for the Southern
> Cross Astronomical Society of Miami, Florida, to completely ban the use
> of green laser pointers at SCAS sponsored events. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
> (January 2005) any use of such devices (hand-held or attached) at SCAS
> Star Parties, the Winter Star Party, or any other SCAS public event
> SHALL BE PROHIBITED. Violation of this restriction will result in the
> immediate expulsion of the offending party from the SCAS event.
> -Tim Khan, SCAS V. President/Director of the Winter Star Party

Some how I knew it would come to this....

Beevo (aka Bill VanOrden)