[AR] Re: Rocket Labs

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 00:08:55 -0600

SpaceX is already getting into the satellite business (and one can argue
that Dragon was already a step in that direction). More importantly, they
wouldn't just be building the satellites, they'd be operating them. I hope
there are other variations on the theme that other launch providers can
follow suit with. I think we're better off with more than one healthy
launch provider, but that's going to require new markets and a fair deal of
cleverness.

Jon
On Sep 16, 2015 11:53 PM, "George Herbert" <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One might do well to consider the conditions in aircraft/airlines and
spacelaunch/commercial profit breakdowns.

Airlines and airframers being apart was not the natural way of things.

Next time Loral is supercheap, Elon may take a bite...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2015, at 9:16 PM, David Weinshenker <daze39@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Bill Claybaugh wrote:
Why assume evil when nature is a sufficient explanation?
Airlines are both commodity businesses--they have no pricing
power--and service businesses--they have inherently high
costs--so they naturally, through competition, fall to no
profit pricing. Space transportation is no different.

So what you're saying is that transportation (space, air, or
otherwise) - as a business - is a relatively pure example of
the sort of "flat and crowded" market in which "racing to the
bottom" may be expected as an emergent behavior?

-dave w