[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:05:09 -0700

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 11:46:20 am Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > It appears that poppler was selected because it is the only available
> > open source library that will do PDF to raster conversions.
>
> And what about ghostscript? It certainly accepts PDF as input, as well
> as PS.
>
> Regards
> Gerhard

Yes you are right Ghostscript does accept PDF files.  I forget that this is an
option.  Since this is what is used in CUPS now I am not sure why the new
pdftoratster filter is using poppler.

However color management support in GhostScript has it's issues.  When
displaying the "Is your system v4 ready" pdf* from the color.org web site it
does not display any of the content that has an ICC profile.   But when I open
this pdf in cinepaint the v2 profiles in the pdf are working but not the v4
parts of the pdf.  Cinepaint uses ghostscript to handle the PDF file.  So it
appears that there is some CM capabilities in GhostScript for PDF files if it
is invoked the correct way.   In addition, I had a quick look at the docs for
GhostScript and I couldn't even find a switch to use to specify an output ICC
profile but I may have missed something.

Hal

*Sorry I would have included a link to the color.org web page but it appears
the web site is down right now.