[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:13:54 +1000

Hal V. Engel wrote:

does not display any of the content that has an ICC profile.   But when I open
this pdf
in cinepaint the v2 profiles in the pdf are working but not the v4 parts of the
pdf.
Cinepaint uses ghostscript to handle the PDF file.  So it

Sorry, this is my fault, since I haven't completed a v4 compatible icclib -(

is invoked the correct way. In addition, I had a quick look at the docs for GhostScript and I couldn't even find a switch to use to specify an output ICC profile
but I may have missed something.

From the PDF 1.7 spec:

Note: PDF has no equivalent of the PostScript color rendering dictionary. The
means by
which a device profile is associated with a consumer application’s output
device are
implementation-dependent and cannot be specified in a PDF file. Typically, this
is done
through a color management system (CMS) that is provided by the operating
system.
Beginning with PDF 1.4, a PDF document can also specify one or more output
intents
providing possible profiles that might be used to process the document (see
Section
10.10.4, “Output Intents”).

So I guess Ghostscript is lacking an obvious way of specifying the output
profile.