[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

Am 27.08.08, 16:49 +0200 schrieb "Gerhard Fürnkranz":
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:41:11 +0200
> > Von: "edmund ronald" <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx>

> > You print a target *with all color management options turned off in
> > the print path*  create a profile with some profiling software, or
> > have someone create it for you, and then convert your images to that
> > profile with your image processing application and print them via the
> > same print path as your target. There is no requirement for the print
> > chain to be profile-aware, in fact what you want to do is switch all
> > the color processing in the print path OFF.
>
> My understanding is though, that hpijs does not support raw CMYK printing
> (like Gutenprint does) but only accepts RGB, and the driver converts RGB to
> CMYK internally using a printer model specific, built-in, hard-coded 3D
> device link CLUT (which I guess is supposed to do some kind of generic
> perceptual sRGB to printer conversion). So it is IMO not really possible to
> turn the color processing off but one can only (double-)profile the virtual
> RGB colorspace emulated by the driver, which is likely suboptimal. Please
> correct me, if my understanding of hpijs is outdated and does not longer
> apply in the meantime.

I have profiled a HP printer for use with standard print queues.
It behaved like most other RGB printers ... suboptimal.

At least two recommendations for ICC application side printing can be
made, Photoprint and with slightly more work CinePaint.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management