[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:59:12 +0200

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > This part seems clear: hplip is not CM aware.
>
> Thats wrong. hplip can use CM by the means of CUPS.
> No ICC does not mean no CM. We have to talk explicitely about ICC style
> CM in this context or get easily confused.
>
> > > However most printer models are able to be color calibrated
> >
> > I have no idea how this would work, and how this would impact a colour
> > managed workflow. Would it help to get predictable print results ?
>
> In the CUPS documentation:
> http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/spm.html#5_1_3
>
> HPLIB:
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/man_pages/colorcal.html
>
> > Is there anything in the answer that would confirm that the drivers
> > provide a linear response ?
>
> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann

Thanks for your feedback. So CM is possible with cups. This means that most
printer drivers can get CM for free, albeit not with color profiles, right ?

*Sigh* I'm still unclear about this. So I have an ICC managed scanner, and an
ICC managed (profiled and calibrated) screen. I am using CM aware
applications (Gimp, Digikam, ...) and now I want to print.

How do I get a printout that matches (within the physical/CM constraints of
course) what I have on screen ? Using cups and a standard printer driver
(such as hplip or epson) ?

Thank you,

Geert Janssens

--