[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:45:04 +0200 (CEST)

Am 27.08.08, 09:28 +0200 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> [[For those who don't know: hplip is the open source printer driver project
> that supports most HP printers on linux.]]
>
> Continuing my quest for a new printer, I asked the hplip team how their
> printer driver deals with color management. You can read the "full"
> conversation here:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/36564
>
> After about two months, I finally got this answer:
> > What printer are you using?
> >
> > HPLIP does not support using other ICC profiles.
> >
> > However most printer models are able to be color calibrated (not all models
> > are supported however).
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Aaron
>
> I need some help in reading this correctly.
>
> > HPLIP does not support using other ICC profiles.
> This part seems clear: hplip is not CM aware.

Thats wrong. hplip can use CM by the means of CUPS.
No ICC does not mean no CM. We have to talk explicitely about ICC style
CM in this context or get easily confused.

> > However most printer models are able to be color calibrated
> I have no idea how this would work, and how this would impact a colour
> managed
> workflow. Would it help to get predictable print results ?

In the CUPS documentation:
http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/spm.html#5_1_3

HPLIB:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/man_pages/colorcal.html

> Is there anything in the answer that would confirm that the drivers provide a
> linear response ?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--