[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:15:43 -0700

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 12:30:17 pm Milan Knížek wrote:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann píše v St 27. 08. 2008 v 20:45 +0200:
> > Am 27.08.08, 16:49 +0200 schrieb "Gerhard Fürnkranz":
> > > -------- Original-Nachricht --------

> > > My understanding is though, that hpijs does not support raw CMYK
> > > printing (like Gutenprint does) but only accepts RGB, and the driver
> > > converts RGB to CMYK internally using a printer model specific,
> > > built-in, hard-coded 3D device link CLUT (which I guess is supposed to
> > > do some kind of generic perceptual sRGB to printer conversion). So it
> > > is IMO not really possible to turn the color processing off but one can
> > > only (double-)profile the virtual RGB colorspace emulated by the
> > > driver, which is likely suboptimal. Please correct me, if my
> > > understanding of hpijs is outdated and does not longer apply in the
> > > meantime.
> >
> > I have profiled a HP printer for use with standard print queues.
> > It behaved like most other RGB printers ... suboptimal.
>
> While discussing the RGB/CMYK drivers - is anyone using a CMYK workflow
> (incl. ink limits, linearisation) with CcMmYKk (those light/dark inks)
> inkjet printers using gutenprint/cups?

I do with my Epson R2400 on Linux.  Actually the R2400 is a CcMmYKkk printer
but currently I am sending CMYK data to the printer and letting GutenPrint
handle light/dark ink issues.

There are currently no end user tools for doing linearization with the
GutenPrinter drivers.

I would expect that most GutenPrint users on this list also use their printers
as CMYK devices.

> In particular, gutenprint has lot of advanced settings (density, ink
> limit, grey transition, light ink transition; with gutenprint
> gimp /cinepaint plugin also curve editor) for Epson Photo Stylus
> printers.

About the only things I have changed are the density and ink limits.  I have
found the curve editor to be all but useless for a number of reasons.  The
main ones are that there is no way to get the current or default curves as a
starting point and it is impossible to make the fine adjustments that are
really needed.