[argyllcms] Re: hplip printer driver and color management

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:36:01 +0100

Hi,

Hal V. Engel wrote:

I would expect that most GutenPrint users on this list also use their printers as CMYK devices.

Hehe, I guess I'm an exception then.

As long as you turn off its inbuilt colour corrections, Gutenprint's RGB output (on 6-colour photo-inkjets at least) is remarkably well-behaved and for photographic output the results are good enough that I've not felt the need to deal with the much larger number of patches needed to adequately sample the CMYK space.

I will admit, however, that I tend to tweak the target manually before printing and add some extra patches in known trouble-spots, to provide increased coverage of the grey-axis, for instance.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson