[argyllcms] Re: Loading CAL file with dispwin

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:27:26 +0900

Graeme Gill wrote:
Vista will almost certainly have an operating system facility to register the profile and load the LUT automatically. See Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Color Management. In Devices I think you select "Use my settings for this
device", and then add the profile you've created. I'm not sure what else
you have to do though, or exactly how it interacts, as I haven't
explored this yet.

In fact, I'm not sure that dispcal etc. are working on Vista, as I notice
that on my system that it doesn't honour setting the video LUT properly (it seems to flash, then return to what it was). Either Vista changes how this
works (but it's not noted on MSDN), or there is a bug in the Intel video
drivers for my test system.
Argyll works fine on my laptop under Vista, for both the internal and external display interfaces. It's able to adjust the LUT with no apparent problems. The laptop has an nVidia 8400 mobile chipset.

However, I have not yet found a way to get Vista to program the LUT using the profile's VGCT information, though. "Use my settings for this device" is checked in the Color Management control panel and the profile has been set as the default profile for the device. Despite that, I see a significant change in the display's appearance if I use dispwin to load Argyll's calibration information. Furthermore, if a UAC activates, the display sleeps, or the machine is put in a sleep state, the LUT seems to be reset to defaults. This panel is quite blue cast (according to dispread) and it's quite obvious when the LUT from the profile hasn't been loaded since there's a fairly large correction required to get it to D65 (with matching midtones).

As my colour needs on my laptop are rather limited I'm currently just using a profile that just measures the display's uncalibrated state. I do anything interesting on my external display anyway, and it's not that much hassle to use dispwin to set up the LUT on the external display interface when I need to do anything with colour that's not utterly trivial.

On XP, i1Match from GretagMacbeth/XRite seems to use a LUT loader utility that runs on startup. Does XP have a facility to do this automatically that they're just ignoring?

As for Vista, I would not be all that shocked to discover that display profile LUT loading required a WCS profile....

--
Craig Ringer