[argyllcms] Re: Loading CAL file with dispwin

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:18:57 +0900

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Roger Breton wrote:
>> My impression is that Windows does support the VCGT tag inside a monitor
>> profile at all.
>
> I understood that there was an option download from Microsoft
> that did this on XP (a preview of the Vista utility)
> called "Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP".
> See
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&displaylang=en>

I used it on my XP box and I'm *fairly* sure it didn't load the VGCT
data from the profile and apply it to the video card LUT. I have an XP
machine at work I can do some tests on to find out.

The WinXP Color Control Panel PowerToy was bascially a preview of the
Vista color control panel and worked in a very similar way - though the
XP one had a couple more features, like a view of the profile's gamut,
and it obviously lacked WCS support.

>> Dispwin seems to work under Vista for me.
>
> On my Win2000 box I simply setup a startup item that invokes dispwin
> with the appropriate profile. Not as sophisticated as one
> of the utilities provided with other tools, but it
> achieves the same result.

On Vista that'll work but not well. Because the UAC screen-greying seems
to nuke the LUT the changes won't remain in place. The LUT also seems to
be reset on display blanking and machine sleep. On my laptop it also
seems to be cleared a few seconds into user login, often just after the
calibration loader has run. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of these
issues were driver specific, but they're still trouble.

It'd need to run post-UAC-prompt and after display unblank, too. This is
why I find it so strange that Vista doesn't seem to use the LUT info
from the profile ... it's obviously playing with the video card LUT
quite a bit, and it has built-in colour management support, yet it seems
to actively sabotage colour management with its LUT manipulation instead
of supporting it.

I did a bit of searching about this issue when I first noticed my
display calibration being cleared on my Vista laptop, and I saw quite a
few other reports of similar issues.

--
Craig Ringer