[argyllcms] Re: Loading CAL file with dispwin

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:46:03 +0900

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> The LUT still gets reset shortly after login. It's hard to tell what's
>> doing this, and I'll have to do a bit of digging.
>
> I've noticed a more serious problem though, and that is that
> evey time I load the Video LUTs for one application,
> it clears it for all other applications.

Interesting. I don't see that effect.

Would you mind providing a short step-by-step so I can repeat your tests
here and see what happens? I'll try both with Glass enabled and disabled.

> I also note that after updating my drivers and doing a Windows
> Update today that now the screen flickers whenever the LUTs are
> accessed, and that during that access a box pops up
> saying "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic".

I'm pretty sure that means that Vista thinks that the app that's running
is incompatible with the Aero Glass user interface effects, and it is
turning them off while the application runs. I've only ever seen it with
Direct3D 9/8/7/etc apps that want to take exclusive control of the video
hardware.

I turned Glass off pretty quickly on my Vista setup, so I wouldn't have
noticed this issue. I'll enable it and do some testing to see if I see
similar results.

IIRC you might need an executable manifest that specifies Aero
compatibility, or to use different APIs to access the LUTs. I haven't
had to deal with this myself, though, so that's really just hearsay.

Here's some general information on the topic:

http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/04/02/566788.aspx

--
Craig Ringer