[argyllcms] Re: Continuous reading mode ambient light temperature

  • From: Jos van Riswick <josvanr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 10:33:53 +0200

Reason is: I'm an artist (painter, see www.josvanriswick.nl ) and
occasionally I use photographic reference material to paint from.
So what I do is constantly compare the colors in my painting and
in the reference. Using a computer monitor seemed ideal for me,
because  I can change the reference's colors to my liking, unlike
with a print. But unfortunately, the temperature of the light
outside keeps changing. So a painting that I started in the
morning, will look completely different from the image in the
monitor later in the day. I tried to use artificial light
(constant) but didn't suit me. (kind of depressing). What I tried
yesterday is just manually adjust the rgb gains of the monitor
now and then, and compare a white image to a patch of white
paint. This really makes a difference,  but is kind of
cumbersome.

So I'd really like to find a way to do this. I have a huey pro
colorimeter, which is able to take ambient light temperature
measurements. I tried to do this with 'spotread -a'. Seems to
work.. I'm kind of handy with writing perl scripts. So maybe I
can write a script to read the temperature, adjust a previously
measured curve and then just apply it again with dispwin. Then
run the script when the discrepancy becomes too disturbing.

So if you have any suggestions on how to do to the calculations
needed, or what programs I could look into, would be welcome....

 Jos