[argyllcms] Re: Continuous reading mode ambient light temperature

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 23:53:02 +0200

Am 29.05.2011 22:49, schrieb Jos van Riswick:
And yes, controlling the enviroment light is the best option, but...
hmm It's kind of not nice to spend all day in a darkened room with blue
fluorescent light, when the sun is shining outside... Also, I just feel that
judging colors in my paintings is best done in day light.

Well, but keep in mind that even "daylight" can be quite different, from very
warm (for instance at sunrise/sunset) to pretty cool (on a cloudy day), and potential
color inconstancy of the paintings will still remain an issue, even when the monitor
white point follows the color of the viewing light source.

I'm wondering if it isn't possible to just convert the measurements in an icc
monitor file to a different temperature...

It is certainly possible to derive profiles with a different white point chromaticity
from an existing "master profile". But I'm not aware of a ready-to-use tool
which does exactly this. Changing just the media white point tag in the profile is rather
insufficient, as it won't ensure correct clipping at the new white point, and
non-color-managed objects on the screen would still be displayed with the original white
point of the display, which will likely confuse the adaptation of the observer. So better
the calibration curves should be adjusted as well.

Regards,
Gerhard