[argyllcms] Re: Continuous reading mode ambient light temperature

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 18:10:34 +1000

Jos van Riswick wrote:
is there some way to get argyll to continuously adapt my monitor's color
temperature to
the ambient light temperature, as the ambient light changes during the day?

Hi,
    Why would you want to do that ? -i.e. it may be a good gimmick,
but I'm not aware of any serious color reason to do something like that.
The assumption is that if you are looking at a monitor, your eyes are
mostly adapted to the display, since it dominates your field of view.
In addition, there are serious trade-offs to be made in calibrating
a display to a particular color temperature, such a reduced brightness,
loss of resolution in the channels etc., and in addition there is the issue
of how to make the profile track the change in display calibration, and
no applications (as far as I know) have any facility to dynamically
update the profile they are using.