[argyllcms] Re: Continuous reading mode ambient light temperature

  • From: Mike Windsor <puddytat1234@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:15:52 +0000

Graeme Gill wrote:

>Jos van Riswick wrote:

>> For professional users it may be not so
important, but for the average user, it would

>> be nice to be able to see your prints in the
right color on your screen (better colors,

>> anyway) for example.

>It's hard to know if this would really be the case,
particularly if the display

>brightness changes markedly as well (because you
can't set more than 100% in

>a display color channel).

I can only speak personally, but as an "average
user" of Argyll, I want to mimic the way a professional would use it. It isn't
so critical for me to get absolute repeatability and perfectly neutral
surroundings, so perhaps I don't spend as long getting everything as perfect as
I could. But I don't want a different thing, I want the same thing; I just need
it less critically.

Although Jos finds himself with a particular use case, I
wouldn't have thought that many people are in the position that they need to
match whitepoint temperature between a screen and a piece of canvas (or any
other reflective source) with constantly changing illumination. Which is just
as well, considering how difficult it seems to be to come up with a decent
mechanism.

Jos, apologies for stating the obvious, but have you
considered printing your source material? Sure you use up paper and ink, but as
your source material and work in progress then share an illuminant, you've got
completely built-in whitepoint matching (and you lose the glare of the monitor
as well).

I've been interested in the discussion about possible
techniques, all of which sound a bit hacky (pre-calculating several curves, for
example, and picking the best fit on the fly). As Jos has pointed out, the
Windows
Huey software (and, I think, the more expensive Spyders) reacts to ambient
temperature
in real time. How does it do it?