[arachne] Re: Alternate browser usages

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:58:00 -0500

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:29:46 -0500, Glenn McCorkle wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:21:41 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:54:07 -0600, Glenn Gilbreath Jr. wrote:

>> The file unzipped with PKUNZIP v2.50 plus CWSDPMI onto a FAT16
>> hard disk would not work.

>> The same result when using Arachne's UNZIP.EXE, and UNZIP32.EXE.

>> The same zip file, using UNZIP32, on the same computer, on the
>> same hard disk, but with the disk now fdisked and formatted to
>> FAT32, was unzipped to a working installation, but needed w98's
>> DOS on a boot floppy to access the hard disk during the unzipping
>> and running. No memory expansion/extension software was/is
>> installed on that boot floppy.

>> The only -- repeat, ONLY -- differences are the format of the
>> hard disk and the DOS being used.

> Greg,

> Sorry to say that I'm at a loss to explain the trobles you had.

> However... these are my results.
> (in both cases... zip.exe is the 32bit DOS version included with Arachne)

> --- Booted to OpenDos v7.01, Zipslack in CD (drive Q:)
> -- command line ... unzip.exe q:\zipslack\zipslack.zip -d h:\
> -- drive H: is a 1.9gig FAT16 partition

> --- edited results of ... tree.com h:\linux > \od7fat16.txt ---------

<snip>

> total files 13,828
> total bytes 138,189,649
> disk free space 1,137,836,032

> --- Booted to MsDos v7 (Win98 1st edition) Zipslack in CD (drive Q:)
> -- command line ... unzip.exe q:\zipslack\zipslack.zip -d d:\
> -- drive D: is a 5gig FAT32 partition

> --- edited results of ... tree.com d:\linux > \ms7fat32.txt ---------

<snip>

> total files 13,828
> total bytes 138,189,649
> disk free space 2,147,418,112

Ah ha.... found the problem.

While everything _seemed_ to have unzipped correctly.... it did not
work with the version unpacked while booted to OpenDos 7.01

So, I deleted everything from the FAT16 partition and
redid it but this time while booted to MsDos v7

Now it works perfectly on the FAT16 partition.

There seems to be some kind of incompatability between
OpenDos and the filename/dir structure in zipslack.zip

Most likely, OpenDos command.com can't handle the deep dir structure.

--
 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/