[arachne] Re: Alternate browser usages

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:39:40 +1030

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:38:59 -0500 (EST), ewalt@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Glenn Gilbreath Jr. said:
>> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!

>> WOW!  Sounds like, dare I say it...
>> RTFM!  Hehe!  <{;-)

> Well, I read the readme.lst file and it says  the first
> thing you should do to install to a DOS partition is
> "fire up Windows".

> Curious, but not unexpected, eh?

Very true.

But is it a *necessary* step? Or is it because the writer didn't
know of any other operating system than Windows, apart from
Linux? Or didn't know that there were 32-bit unzippers other than
WinZip?

As it is, my successful install was done using the DOS that hides
under Win98, from a boot floppy where I had added fdisk and
format. The actual unzipping was done with UNZIP32.EXE that I
downloaded from somewhere a while ago, and found in my Arachne
download directory.

So Windows was *NOT* an essential part of the exercise.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v