[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:14:30 +0100

Hi Derek.  I would agree that it is indeed the same for them and therefore
alternatives do need to be found that are accessible yet equally safe.

I don't believe in whinging without being able to come up with a workable
solution yet I do have concerns that those who can't use the latest systems
have to put up with something less secure and the bank argues it has enough
money just to be able to not worry about their concerns and just pay up if
anything goes wrong.

It's a regular theme here whether we are talking about chip and pin, more
secure log in devices or the inability of groups of people in society unable
to use a cash machine independently.

The banks could argue that if they had to consider accessibility for
absolutely everyone before implementing a system then they would never adopt
any new system and this is certainly true.  Equally though, It is important
that accessibility should always be kept a major priority among those in the
banks charged with the organisations' strategic thinking so that groups in
society are not unduly left behind or disadvantaged.

Regards

Graham