[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

Hi Colin,

Sorry, it is you that is missing Derek's point.  The fact that the bank will
guarantee you against fraud even if you log on in the old fashioned way, is
itself reasonable adjustment.  Fuss over nothing methinks.

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Colin Fowler
Sent: 20 May 2007 10:36
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

Derek,

That is complete rubbish, it would only constitute a reasonable adjustment 
if the person receiving that adjustment was at no disadvantage compared with

others.

Your argument in defence of the bank is complete nonsense. Ask yourself, why

are the banks introducing ACD? The consensus of opinion is - security? Yes?
So, it is obvious, would you not agree? that the banks consider anything 
other than ACD as less secure? Yes? Or why are they introducing it?

Therefore, useing your annalysis of there exemption for blind and visually 
impaired customers, this apparent reasonable adjustment, is less secure, 
which is therefore treating those that opt to use it, at a disadvantage 
compared with those for whom a similar reason would not apply.

Let me just remind you of something. The DDA does not refer to equal 
treatment for disabled people, it actually states that a disabled person 
should be treated more favourably than someone for whom a similar reason 
would not apply.

Blind and visually impaired customers should therefore be insisting on the 
same levels of increased security,rather than being only too ready to accept

an exemption from these new security precautions, and if that means that the

banking industry has to invest in a ACD product that is accessible, than so 
be it! I can't precisely recollect the profits that Lloydds TSB made last 
year, but I'm sure that it was in excess of 5 billion.

Kind regards

Colin



Colin Fowler

Disability Consultant

Tel: 01582 483 283

Text/mobile: 07901 573 570

E mail:

col.fowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.social-model.org.uk

disability@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx





----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 9:53 AM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home


> Hi Colin
> You said:
> "This is certainly not acceptable, and frankly I'm disappointed of your
> acceptance of a process which would be considered as treating blind and
> visually impaired customers at a considerable disadvantage compared with
> others for whom a similar reason would not apply."
>
> Lets look again what the bank did say:
>
>
> "Any customers that are not able to use the ACD device will be able to
> continue to use memorable information to log on with."
>
> Reasonable adjustment,  can't use the key pads so we let you stay
> with old set-up.
>
> Now this next  bit  is  proof the blind customer will not be at  a
> disadvantage  compared to those that  will have to use the key pads.
>
>
> "When using our Internet Banking service you will be covered under our
> Online
> Fraud Guarantee as long as you've been careful, for example, by taking
> reasonable steps to keep your security information safe. This guarantee
> would
> apply to your accounts regardless of the above method you were logging on
> with."
>
>
> Regards,
> Derek
>
> e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
> ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
> ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ** and in the Subject line type
> ** unsubscribe
> ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
> ** immediately-following link:-
> ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> ** or send a message, to
> ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq
>
> 


** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq



** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq

Other related posts: